For men and women who are recently sober, summertime can be a particularly difficult time with all of the celebrating and warm weather. You want to spend time with friends and have fun but are worried about relapsing. Fortunately, there are plenty of ways to have a sober celebration that can be fun and more memorable without drugs or alcohol. A sober living program can give you healthy coping skills and confidence for leading a sober and happy life.
At Vertava Health Massachusetts, we support men and women who are struggling with substance abuse and ready to make a positive change. We offer inpatient and outpatient treatment programs with evidence-backed behavioral therapies where patients develop healthy coping skills and a better outlook on life. If you or a loved one is struggling with substance abuse, call 888.451.5895 or fill out our online contact form today, and we will get back to you within 24 hours.
Throwing a Sober Celebration
Having a sober party is one of the best ways to have fun during the summer and not be tempted by drugs or alcohol. Relapse rates are very high for patients within the first year of completing a treatment program, and many patients worry they will slip up if they go to a normal summer party.
When throwing a sober celebration, be sure to invite friends from your recovery group so they can experience a sober summer celebration. If you invite your non-sober friends, remind them it is a sober party, so they don’t accidentally bring alcohol. The more you incorporate your supportive friends into your new life, the easier it will be to maintain your sobriety.
At Vertava Health Massachusetts, we give our patients the confidence and skills necessary to lead a sober and productive life. Patients focus on activities that encourage sobriety, such as hiking, journaling, learning a new hobby, and playing sports.
How to Enjoy a Sober Summer Celebration
By being smart and following some simple tips, you can enjoy a sober celebration and not experience old cravings for drugs or alcohol. It is imperative that you get out and enjoy your sober life to reduce the risk of boredom and isolation that can lead to relapse.
Here are some healthy ways to enjoy a sober summer celebration:
- Bring along a sober friend – Having a sober friend with you is the best way to attend a party and test your new skills. You should always have someone in your life who will encourage you to maintain your sobriety.
- Have a non-alcoholic drink in your hand – To avoid someone handing you a drink, always have a bottle of water or soda with you to avoid the temptation of reaching for the glass subconsciously.
- Be honest about your sobriety – Be honest with your friends about your sobriety and the struggles to maintain it. Good friends will do everything they can to help you stay sober.
- Call a sponsor or attend therapy – If you are at a party and feeling old cravings resurface, step away from the party and call your sponsor or sober friend. Meet up with them or go to a therapy session until your cravings pass.
Join Vertava Health Massachusetts for Our Sober Living Program and Healthy Tips for Staying Sober During the Summer
Vertava Health Massachusetts provides compassionate and discreet treatment for addiction to alcohol, opiates, and other dangerous substances. Patients learn how to enjoy a sober celebration without feeling any temptations or cravings for their substance of choice. Our certified therapists have experience working with all types of addiction and use a mix of behavioral and holistic therapies to benefit your recovery, such as:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
- Group and individual therapy
- Family therapy
- Creative writing
- Motivational interviewing
Today is the perfect time to find a treatment center and live your best future. Call 888.451.5895 today to speak with our compassionate staff about starting your addiction treatment program.